The Miller-Bradford House
Originally a modest home built by Samuel Miller, c. 1839, it was enlarged by Dr. Charles M. Bradford in the early 1840s. Dr. Bradford had come to Arrow Rock in 1840 and married a granddaughter of Dr. John Sappington. Bradford added rooms to the back, and a slave kitchen was attached to the house, creating two stories at the rear with a walkout basement. The original walnut siding still exists.
The house remained in the Bradford family until 1898. By the mid-1950s the home was deserted and in a state of disrepair. In 1957 it became the property of Bill and Cora Lee Miller. They originally planned to restore it only as their home, but someone asked if there was a place to buy antiques in town. Cora Lee set out a card table, sold an item, and was in business! At the time of their deaths in 1994 the reputation of Miller’s Antiques was known far and wide.
One of the greatest honors in the history of the Friends of Arrow Rock was being the recipients of the gift of the Miller-Bradford House and contents of Miller’s Antiques. The Miller’s generosity and foresightedness have provided for the continual care of this beautiful property for all who visit Arrow Rock. According to their wishes, the property is governed by a board they named, and the legacy of a quality antique shop continues as Karen Murray and Shelby Gregory now operate Arrow Rock Antiques at that location.